The Aerodyne Aerosol Mass Spectrometer (AMS) is the only currently available instrument capable of providing quantitative size and chemical mass loading information in real-time for non-refractory sub-micron aerosol particles. The AMS couples size-resolved particle sampling and mass spectrometric techniques into a single real-time measurement system. The Aerodyne AMS has been deployed world-wide at fixed sites, and on mobile laboratory, ship and aircraft platforms. Over 200 instruments are in use in industrial, academic and government laboratories.
Open source, highly flexible and fully supported data analysis software. Data acquisition software can be adapted for individual customer needs.
Annual users’ meeting for discussion of instrument use and data analysis techniques, and for fostering connections and collaborations among users.
• Climate change and air quality research.
• Organic aerosol quantification and analysis.
- Separation and quantification of organic components including HOA (hydrocarbon-like organic aerosol, linked to primary combustion sources) and OOA (oxygenated organic aerosol, linked to secondary aerosol sources).
- Elemental composition (O:C, H:C, N:C).
• Fast response plume studies up to 100 Hz.
• Aerosol chamber studies.
• Combustion exhaust monitoring and source characterization.
• Particle beam source for efficient separation of gas and particle.
• Resolution approaching 8000 M/ΔM.
• Thermal particle vaporization with electron impact ionization source.
• Direct linear detection of sulfate, nitrate, ammonium, chloride and organic aerosol species.
• Fast response, up to 100 Hz mass spectra.
• Single particle spectra, event triggering.
• Particle aerodynamic diameter determined from particle time-of-flight (velocity) measurements using a particle beam chopping technique.
• Compatible with 1064 nm laser vaporization module.
Particle Size Range: 40-1000 nm aerodynamic diameter standard or PM 2.5 option
Mass Range: Greater than 1000AMU
Data Rate: 1-5 minute typical data reporting interval Maximum mass spectra data rate 100 Hz (TOF-MS systems only) Maximum size distribution data rate 150 Hz
Data System: High speed acquisition of 1.6 Gs/s with custom firmware for single particle (eventtrigger) mode
Sample Flow: 0.085 l min-1
Available Options: Black carbon detection module, efficient particle time-of-flight (ePTOF), sample flow line controller, aerosol dryer, PM 2.5 capable, beam width probe
Size/Weight/Power: 55” L x 24” D x 27” H, 275 lbs [139.7 cm x 60.9 cm x 68.6 cm, 124.7 kg]r 600 Watts (24VDC vacuum system).